The fire




 

I keep pressing my favorite flowers
between the pages of my books
inside a burning house.

As though tenderness could survive
by being hidden.

As though love, if flattened thin enough,
might escape the fire.

But smoke has a way
of entering everything.

Sooner or later,
the flames learn every room by name.

And I feel them now
breathing against my spine,
patient as grief,
familiar as my own pulse.

A warning
that has repeated itself so many times
it no longer sounds like danger,
only home.

Still, I place the flowers carefully
between paper and dust,
like small prayers
I already know will go unanswered.

I tell myself I am preserving them.
But preserved things are not living things.

Dried flowers are corpses
that still remember being beautiful.

And every page I close over them
feels less like saving
and more like burial.

What I wanted
was never this
never these quiet little funerals
pressed flat between chapters.

I wanted a vase on a kitchen table.
Morning light through open windows.
Water changed every few days
by hands that intended for me to stay.

I wanted softness
that did not have to be earned
through suffering.

I wanted a home
that did not confuse destruction
for intimacy.

But the house is always burning.

And I have spent so long inside it
I started calling the flames warmth.

Started mistaking survival
for devotion.

Started believing
that if I loved the fire gently enough,
it might spare me.

Meanwhile the smoke
settled into my lungs so deeply
even my breathing began to sound like mourning.

One day,
my flowers will turn to ash.

Not all at once.

Quietly.

The way beautiful things disappear
when they are loved
in places never meant to hold them.

And perhaps that is the cruelest part
nothing here leaves dramatically.

It dies slowly.
Softly.
With enough tenderness
to make the ending almost resemble peace.

Deep down,
I have always known
this house could never become a home.

Because homes do not devour
the things brought into them trembling.

Homes do not ask beauty
to survive on smoke.

Homes make things grow.

So who do I blame
for the graveyard in my hands?

The fire
for burning?

Or myself
for arriving with armfuls of flowers
and calling the ashes love?

Because I knew.

God, I knew.

And still
I carried every fragile thing I had
across the threshold willingly.

Still,
I stayed long enough
to smell myself burning too.

Now the vase remains empty.

And somewhere behind me,
the fire is watching

تعليقات

‏قال غير معرف…
the most painful part of the piece is not the fire itself, but growing so used to it that you began calling the burning warmth. Sensitive souls do not collapse all at once; they slowly wear away between surviving and pretending the smoke no longer hurts them. And yet, even wilted flowers were never ugly they were simply placed somewhere that did not know how to keep life alive. I think some part of you always knew that, which is why the piece felt more like a quiet confession than just sadness.

المشاركات الشائعة